More and more people all around the world are starting to hear about the great benefits of yerba mate. The word is spreading beyond the borders of mate-producing countries in South America. Curious people in new regions such as Europe, for example, are feeling the motivation to try it.
Such is the incredible case of Alice Beretta, an Italian sportswoman who became a fan of yerba mate. Alice is a professional ice hockey and roller hockey player. She is part of the Italian national team (she recently came back from China where she was representing her country in the world championship).
Laughing and using an adorable Spanish, this cheerful young woman tells us all about her “Mate rituals”.
– I am a 29 year old girl who lives in Milan, always nice and eager to party (but first of all, a sportsman!) – she jokes.
– I discovered mate in Argentina, when I traveled with the Italian team in 2015 for the World Cup. Now I always have it with me, I cannot live without it … it’s my strength, thank you!
– I like to drink mate in the morning, in the afternoon and at night. I always drink it bitter … do you know why? -she laughs- Because I’m sweet enough! I usually drink it hot, but this summer I’m also having it cold as “tereré”, I really enjoy it.
Although Alice doesn’t normally accompany her mate with food, she explains that her diet is quite healthy in general: bread with jam for breakfast, fruits, vegetables and a lot of meat for lunch and dinner – “and mate all the time” – she claims.
– Mate keeps you active, it increases your concentration. I always have more energy after drinking mate … that’s why I say it’s unique, there is no other drink that can replace it.
– I usually get it at the supermarket. Not all yerbas are the same. For me, the best one is Taragui, I really like its flavor.
– They always think I’m crazy when they see me drinking mate! However, everyone wants it after they try it… I always recommend mate to everyone, it’s magic and everyone should drink it.
-For me, mate is life … it gives me everything I need to live happily and with lots of energy.