Both mate and coffee are caffeinated drinks and both are among the most consumed beverages in the world; However, in countries like Argentina, the consumption of mate surpasses the consumption of coffee, according to data provided by the National Institute of Yerba Mate.
Advantages of mate over coffee
- Although both beverages have relatively the same amount of caffeine, their stimulating effects are a bit different: while coffee can be a little aggressive (even causing nervousness and tachycardia in some cases), yerba mate creates a smoother feeling of “awareness”, both mentally and physically.
- Also, the caffeine in mate is usually more diluted than in coffee, therefore, is easier for our body to metabolize it.
- Mate is said to have a diuretic effect because when you drink mate tea, you usually drink more liquid than when you are drinking coffee. This is ideal for those looking to lose weight or detox.
- Yerba mate is more nutritious and is also considered a super food: it provides antioxidants, vitamins B1 and B2, more than ten types of amino acids, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium. This is because it comes from a plant, while coffee comes from a bean.
- It is often said that mate is a better “friend” than coffee because it takes longer to finish. And not only does it last longer; thanks to the ceremony of preparing and drinking mate tea, it is also ideal for groups of friends and for social moments in general.
Recommendations when drinking mate:
- To avoid burns, it is recommended to drink mate tea at a maximum temperature of 65 ° C.
- Although it depends on personal preferences, the healthiest way to drink mate is in its natural form, without sugar or other additions